Documents 6 is the best file manager, music player, and downloader for iPhone and iPad. Get it for free, if you haven’t done so yet.
You can easily upload, download and sync iPhone and iPad files using Wi-Fi Drive. For this, make sure that the following requirements are met:
- Both devices should be connected to the same Wi-Fi network;
- Documents should be opened on both iPad and iPhone;
- To sync iPhone and iPad documents, or vice versa, Wi-Fi Drive should be enabled in Documents app on both devices. For this, launch Documents > Settings > Wi-Fi Drive > switch the Enable Drive toggle on (please note, Wi-Fi Drive is disabled by default).
How to sync iPhone to iPad
To sync your iPhone with iPad, follow the steps below:
- Open Documents app on both devices;
- Go to the Services section in Documents on your iPhone;
- Find your iPad under Available devices;
- Confirm the connection on iPad;
- On your iPhone, choose all files and folders you want to download from Documents app on your iPad and tap Download.
How to sync iPad to iPhone (Download files)
You can also send /upload your files from iPad to iPhone directly from your iPad.
In Documents app on iPad, tap Edit > choose Upload > Select all files and folders you want to send to iPhone, and tap Upload again.
To send /download your files from iPhone to iPad, follow the steps below:
- Open Documents app on both devices;
- Go to the Nearby section on the sidebar menu on iPad;
- Find your iPhone under Available devices;
- Confirm the connection on your iPhone;
- On your iPad, choose all files and folders you want to download from Documents app on your iPhone and tap Download.
How to sync iPhone and iPad with Readdle Transfer
You can start working on your file in Documents on iPhone and transfer it, say, to iPad to keep on working over the same file there.
To use Readdle Transfer in order to sync your iPhone and iPad documents, make sure that the following requirements are met:
- Documents app should be active and running on both devices.
- The same network connection on both devices.
- The same Apple ID on both iOS devices.
- iCloud Drive is enabled for both devices: on your iPhone/ iPad (iOS settings > Apple ID > iCloud > iCloud Drive is 'On').
To transfer / sync a file on iPhone and iPad, follow the steps below:
- Go to the app Settings;
- Tap General;
- Enable the toggle for the Readdle Transfer section;
- Open the file in Documents on your iPhone;
- Launch Documents on your iPad;
- Tap the iPhone icon that appears on the sidebar menu once the connection between devices is established;
- The list of all opened documents on iPhone will be displayed;
- Select the file you need to transfer to iPad and go on with working on it.
Note: Readdle Transfer allows you to keep on working with the file on another device but the copy of the file is not created on the second device automatically. To save the file on your iPad, tap Actions button on iPad > Save a Copy (if the file is still opened on both devices) or simply close the file on your iPad and choose where to save the file to (save back to iPhone / save to iPad) if the file is already closed on your iPhone.
How to sync iPhone or iPad to computer (Transfer files)
First check the Nearby section in Documents to find any available computers or mobile devices in the local Wi-Fi network. Once you tap Nearby, the list of all Available Devices will be presented.
Another way to make sure that Wi-Fi Drive is enabled under Documents Settings > Wi-Fi Drive.
When Wi-Fi Drive is ON you will see iPad IP address in the same dialog window.
- Click Finder icon on your Mac;
- Move your cursor to Go at the top;
- Choose Connect to Server… ;
- Type in IP address that can be found in Settings -> Wi-Fi Drive menu;
- The IP address should start with "http://";
- Click Connect;
- Confirm the connection on iPad.
After that you'll be able to upload and download files from Documents to computer and vice versa via Drag & Drop.